For our first year anniversary, we spent time at the all-inclusive Dreams Tulum Resort on the Riviera Maya in Tulum, Mexico. The weather is quite hot and humid in Mexico in August but we had a wonderful time nonetheless, enjoyed the food, the beach (despite the irregular surplus of algae) and touring the Mayan ruins of Tulum and Chichen Itza.
Facts I did not know about Tulum, Yucatan/Chichen Itza or Mexico:
- Life is expensive in Tulum! I could not get breakfast with $4 USD. Have never had such trouble in Philly!
- Mayans were very smart, pretty impressive how the snake body illuminated on the steps of each of their pyramids, wherever built, on the solstices
- The belief of life after death has indeed caused many cruel deaths
- And of course, the mayans have their version of the woman and her seed
- Cenotes are underground water wells
- Spent a whole week and did not see a single burrito with rice and beans a la Qdoba. Lots of empanadas, grilled meat, corn meals. Food tasted so fresh!
- Authentic Mayans are lactose intolerant and have a birthmark, per our tour guide
- There’s a colorful pyramid inside the main pyramid at Chichen Itza, the Kulkukan
- Balam in Yucatan means Tiger….not the Balaam in the bible 🙂
As far as outfits, I stuck with swimsuit, shorts and J.Crew factory tees during the day and Anthropologies dresses at night for dinner.